Splack Linux
Slackware for Sparc
Login Welcome to Splack Linux
Friday, January 19 2018 @ 09:35 AM

Forum Index > General > General discussion
 Splack 12.2 for Javastation?
 |  Printable Version
By: fader (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 05:31 AM (Read 26380 times)  
fader

Hi all,

Thanks to Splack-8.0, my Javastation is finally functional! I'm so happy. You don't know how long I've been trying to get linux and/or netbsd on this thing.

That aside, I realize 8.0 is dated. Will we be seeing a special 12.2 build for the Javastation like the excellent 8.0? Or something?

I doubt 2.6 kernel would be worthy to put on here provided the amount of RAM it has, but packaging 2.4.37.2 would be awesome. If 2.4.20 can get on there, why can't the current 2.4? That, along with other updates to the userland would be nice.

I do have trouble figuring out how to install programs using the setup program on 8.0 considering I can't find all those other packages in the root fs. That along with a dhcp client program would be nice to auto resolve nameservers. And perhaps a usable network swap so I can run X smoothly. Fvwm is barely running because of the available memory and the mouse is suffering.

I never thought you could do so much with 32 MB of RAM. But thanks to Splack, this is now very possible. I will spread this story to other outlets as well.

Thanks so much!

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: crn (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 03:07 PM  
crn

I built the 8.0 Javastation kit around 5 years ago but since retirement I no longer have the facilities to do it again.

If someone wants to volunteer I could pass on a few hints and tips but the lack of a sparc32 maintainer means that there will most likely be some kernel bitrot to cope with as well as the necessary hacking to get it to boot from the network by default.

The nfsroot filesystem is just a minimal installed image with most of the A and N sets. Take a look at the files in /etc/rc.d, compare them with the standard 8.0 distribution, a few hacks are required to make it work over NFS.

It should be simple to add extra packages to 8.0, just export your CD from the server and mount it on the javastation. The standard Slackware installpkg tool should work.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email    

By: fader (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 05:30 PM  
fader

Please teach me the art of maintenance. I'd love to keep the Javastation up with the times. I have a krups model. I was going to try the modifying the 2.4.20 kernel config to match 2.4.37.2. What are the new features in the kernel?

Also, by cd, are you talking about mounting splack-8.0 standard distribution install cd by NFS? If so, that makes sense. I had just thought the install packages were already embedded in the root fs.

I can send you my email address via private message or if you guys have an IRC channel, we could chat about maintenance on there.

Thanks in advance

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: crn (offline) on Thursday, June 25 2009 @ 11:42 PM  
crn

How are your kernel hacking skills ?.
If you are an experienced C programmer you should be able to figure out how to make the kernel netboot by default and build the required modified kernel.
If you do not have the C skills I doubt if anyone could help you online.

The current Splack team has an IRC channel on Freenode:#splack
Dont expect instant replies, say Hi and ask a question, someone will respond
eventually the next time they get to their screen.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email